Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Compression
Author Dimitry Sibiryakov
27.09.2011 10:33, Alexander Peshkov wrote:
> Must say that for example NTFS supports writing compressed pages to disk
> and does not fill it with 0, instead puts more data to the page.

Well, when you tell that, I think that we don't need to duplicate this functionality
and everybody who want database file to be compressed can just turn NTFS compression on.

> We
> probably can do something like this - when adding new record/version to
> the page compress it and when result does not fit, use another page for
> that record/version.

Isn't it exactly the way the engine already use? AFAIK, if compressed record doesn't
fit to free space on the primary page, it is chained to other page.

--
SY, SD.