Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] RC4
Author Jim Starkey
On 11/18/2010 11:33 AM, Alex Peshkoff wrote:

>>> Taking into an account IPs having too many failures is also useful.
>> Good point, but it doesn't help against a distributed dictionary attack.
> Yes, but taking into an account only username does not help if attacker
> wants to crack any name, not only particular one. Certainly, from
> distributed attack on any users, not one particular, nothing of this
> helps - but on firebird I prefer to check both logins and IPs. And as a
> last measure - if a total of failed login attempts (for different users,
> from different IPs) becomes too big, I delay all logins (certainly not
> progressively) for some amount of time.

I understand the logic, but doesn't that encourage distributed denial of
service attacks? All they have to do is throw a bunch random
connections and the database shuts down...

I think a better approach would be to start waving red flags at humans
telling them that the system is under attack and let them figure out
what to do.

--
Jim Starkey
Founder, NimbusDB, Inc.