Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] RC4
Author Jim Starkey
It's getting a little annoying to hear you say we don't know
anything. The antidote to ignorance is to learn something.

No, the WEP guys didn't fail to do their homework. When they designed
the system, it wasn't understood that a) the first few bytes revealed a
tiny bit about the key and b) knowing the progression of generated keys
allowed this to be exploited.

WPA uses RC4, but doesn't have a predictable sequence of generated keys
and doesn't reuse a key, so it doesn't have the problem.

So, if you have something to say, say it. If you have a comment, a
question, an objection, or a suggestion, we're all ears. In specific,
if there is something about Firebird requirements or communication
mechanisms, ask. I don't think the requirements are at all settled, so
that's a good place to start, if you'd like to do something constructive.

--
Jim Starkey
Founder, NimbusDB, Inc.