Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Fetching from a non-cursor
Author Dmitry Yemanov
Alex Peshkoff wrote:

> Yes. I just do not want to create such problems from nothing. I
> understand very well why we needed OldParameterOrdering (to have new
> correct ordering in normal cases) and OldColumnNaming (to be normally
> standard compliant).

IIRC, OldColumnNaming was added to please some users that didn't want to
change their scripts relying on the column names printed in the ISQL
output. It had nothing to do with the standard.

> I remember something like sort by blobs, when actually blob id's were
> sorted. We had to turn it on again :-)

Yes, because it was easier than convince everybody that their SELECT
DISTINCT * queries need rewriting if blobs are present in the select
list :-)

> It seems that good solution can be keeping old API as is, but in the
> planned new one have correct (error without output SQLDA / message)
> behavior.

I'd expect both old and new API to deal with the same provider interface
and of course with the same engine internals. Making the internal
behavior dependent on the chosen public interface looks even worse to me.

Dmitry