Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Question about limits in fb 2.5 or 3.0
Author Jim Starkey
Leyne, Sean wrote:
> Dmitry,
>

>>> In fact, about a year ago, I checked-out the code and did a search
>>>
> for
>
>>> "page_size/pagesize" and found that there were less then two dozen
>>> references.
>>>
>> Actually, there are more than a hundred code lines to change. And this
>> is an optimistic estimate.
>>

> As this seems like a code cleanup/scrubbing task, as such, I would like
> to suggest that Claudio be tasked to review the lines and to replace the
> appropriate SSHORT references with a properly named DEFINE data type
> (ODS_Page_Size ?).
>
> So, that when the time comes to support larger page sizes the code is
> "ready to go".
>
> At the very least, this task would make the codebase more readable.

Yeah. Use a typedefs rather than macros. And I agree that doing it
sooner is useful for cleaning up the code rather than later as part of
an ODS change.

Has anyone considered changing to new style symbol names? No
underscores, initial low case letter for variables, initial upper case
letter for classes and structs, all caps for macros?

Most of the Firebird external names were defined when Unix linkers only
supported 6? 8? 9? character symbols. Switching to a more reasonable
naming convention might make the code more legible to the modern eye.

--
Jim Starkey
President, NimbusDB, Inc.