Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Re: embedding Lua as procedural language
Author Jim Starkey
Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
> Roman Rokytskyy wrote:
>
>>> JavaScript may take longer, unless you already know how to embed
>>> them.
>>>

>> Embedding Rhino (JavaScript engine in Java, Mozilla) is a matter of 1-2
>> days of implementation incl. the usage scenario:
>>
>> var results = connection.execute("select first_name, last_name from
>> people where town=?", "Manchester");
>>
>> while (results.next())
>> doSomething(results.first_name, results.last_name);
>>
>> delete results;
>>
> What about javax.script package?

Don't know -- it's never come up.
> With some small (that I already plan) additions to FB Java Engine, it
> will be possible to implement an engine in Java that interfaces with
> javax.script engines.
>
> Would it be possible (and good) to directly call JDBC methods from
> Javascript functions?

That's the plan. The SQL engine in Netfrastructure and Nimbus is JDBC
based, so it should be easy. Basically build a C++ class that
implements Connection, ResultSet, and probably MetaDataResultSet for
JavaScript. The rest of like fall off a log.
> Certainly will not be the fast things, but easy enough to support and if
> desired, reimplemented in different ways.

There are an infinite ways to implement anything. The art is picking
the best way for a specific application.

--
Jim Starkey
President, NimbusDB, Inc.