Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] External engines - security
Author Jim Starkey
Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
> Jim Starkey escreveu:
>
>> Everyone understands what it means to add support for external
>> procedures via a plugin or an embedded JVM, but I don't understand why
>> you are concerning yourself with security characteristics of the Java
>> language, classes, or virtual machine.
>>
> Jim, there are many discussion about various things, but more
> controversy IMHO is that Vlad said Java and Delphi/C external procedures
> should have same security privileges for one being able to
> define/declare external procedures.
>
> This is unacceptable IMHO, as Java may be safe and Delphi/C code is not.
>
> Ok, if I can't put a Delphi/C module in the server I can't use it and
> then it's safe.
>
> Our current UDF security (as well our security in general) is very
> limited, let's invent something better.

Inventing something better might be the right answer, but is premature.

Vlad, what problems were you trying to solve by proposing additional
security requirements for defining external procedures? I'm not arguing
that there aren't problems, but a potential solution must be evaluated
against the problem it is intended to solve.