Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Invalidating Objects was: Statement Cache
Author Dmitry Yemanov
"Ann W. Harrison" <aharrison@...> wrote:

> Non-destructive changes already work, as far as I know. There are some
> changes that require a delete/replace (e.g. changed a field to disallow
> nulls or replacing a table with a view). Would it be sufficient to find
> ways to make the delete and replace a single operation and leave the
> safety checking in place?

To answer this for sure, we need to implement ALTER for all objects depended
on (including views, computed columns, etc). This is what people miss a lot.

A question - should ALTER PROCEDURE succeed if we change a VARCHAR parameter
to be INT? What about DOUBLE -> NUMERIC(18, 2)? The same for table columns,
as procedure's BLR references them without format, AFAIR. This is the most
desirable reason for metadata invalidation.

Dmitry