Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Re: External procedures: implementation proposal.
Author Jim Starkey
Roman Rokytskyy wrote:

>>A better way to handle this would be to define your procedure as:
>>
>> public static void someProcedure (Connection connect, int valueA,
>>String valueB)
>> {
>> }
>>
>>If you do it this way, anyone can call the procedure with a connection
>>object an expect it to work.
>>

>Yep, the only problem is that this is non-standard. So, the previous
>case has to be supported too.

I really don't care what a particular external procedure facility does
in its own backyard, but I am strong opposed to defining any engine
extension that requires thread specfic variables for implementation.
I've just spend a year hunting down and kill that reprehensible practice
in Firebird, and damned if I'm going to sanction any more of that
silliness (my own personal opinion of course, your milage may vary).

So lets define an interface that passes what's needed to he external
procedure facility in a proper manner. If you want to pass stuff in
thread storage, well, it's your external engine.

--

Jim Starkey
Netfrastructure, Inc.