Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Re: Record Encoding
Author Miroslav Penchev
On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:11:17 -0500, Jim Starkey <jas@...>
wrote:

> Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
>
>> Not always.
>>
>> You don't know what the blob field will contain.
>> It may be an already compressed file.
>>
>> New features should not dictate bad performance for some type of normal
>> operation.
>>

> Could somebody explain why the invariable reaction of this project to a
> new idea of "terrible, can't be done, there's a case that isn't
> optimimal" rather than "hey, that's a cool idea. Let's see how we can
> get it to work."

I think it is a cool idea ;) . Let's have a compression on BLOBs. Imagine
how much you will gain of it if you store a Word file or even better - a
Huge XML file. If we speed up 90% of applications without any work on
applications itself - everyone will say that we are Gods!
If we have a compression - then we will think how to organize it to not
lose anything when there is a JPEG in a blob for example. There is a many
ways to do it.
I am for idea to have a compression on BLOBs.

Cheers,
--
Miroslav Penchev