Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] RFC: Proposal for the implementation of Temporary Tables.
Author Lester Caine
Martijn Tonies wrote:

> Actually, it would be easier if maintained by the server -
> For example, what do you do if the connection fails?
> The server can cleanup the table after you, while you - with
> your own mechanism - cannot, as you do not know that
> your "attachment ID" is no longer a valid one.
>
> Also, in all your procedures/queries/etc, there's no longer a
> need to write:
> "AND ATTACHMENTID = :MyID"

Swings and roundabouts. Because of the way I use the data, if the
connection is lost I don't necessarily want to loose the data. Latest
one is Terminal Server crashes requiring the user to log in again. At
present I CAN just pick up where they left off rather than start again.

In the longer term, *I* will need to maintain this 'temporary' data
across 'sessions' in PHP, and the connection is currently not maintained
which may be the wrong way of doing things, but means I am not tied to
the one web server.

There will always be some users who can't use 'automatic' functions ;)

--
Lester Caine