Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Firebird and java XA transaction support questions
Author Jim Starkey
At 02:12 PM 5/22/01 -0400, David Jencks wrote:
>Hi,
>
>After spending several days looking at the source, experimenting with the
>new jgds, and getting confused, I have some questions.
>
>1. Is it possible to do work on the same transaction, in one db, through
>more than one connection/dbhandle? If not, how hard is this to implement?

No. The handle is officially opaque and in practice encapsulated by
transmission layers.

>2. Is it possible to add dbs to a transaction that is started but not yet
>prepared? ( I know this is a little like read committed transaction
>isolation, but the java xa stuff only supports adding resources one at a
>time to a transaction, not all at once like isc_start_transaction and
>isc_start_multiple). Again, if not, how hard is this to implement?

There is no magic with isc_start_multiple. It starts independent
transactions with the various database handles and returns a
handle to the encapsulated stuff. At commit time it does the
appropriate song and dance.

If you want to do XA stuff, skip the isc_multi_transaction.

>2.5 With a multi-db transaction, can you call commit on a different
>connection/db handle than you started the transaction on?

Absolutely not.

>3. Am I correct in thinking that isc_prepare_transaction2 will allow me to
>store an externally generated xid for use in recovery?

I don't think so.

Jim Starkey