Subject Re: [IB-Architect] RE: Architecture of interclient
Author David Jencks
Hi,

I'm glad to hear you like the idea of a java to firebird core driver. I do
not wish to be overly pushy, but I think I suggested it in my post starting
this thread:
"One thing in particular that I am wondering about is if the interserver
part has any reason for existence. Why not write a JDBC driver in java
that talks directly to Firebird core? I think this would involve
translating the C client into java. I haven't however figured out just
which files this c client consists of."

Since it is just possible I may have time to pursue this project, I would
appreciate some hints as to if and where the XDR protocol definition is and
which files are involved. (I've figured out what most of interclient/server
does, but firebird is a somewhat larger project...)

Although perhaps I should not have put two questions into one post, I'm
also curious about any responses to my original second question:

On a separate thread, I am a bit confused by interclients insistence in the
database metadata that catalog and schema have no meaning in firebird. I
would think that catalog is more or less database, schema is more or less
owner. If you use datasources, catalog could be the JNDI- registered name
for a database rather than the file name. Any comments?