Subject RE: [IB-Architect] proc directory type information tables
Author Lee Rodgers
--- Jim Starkey <jas@...> wrote:
> At 02:14 PM 2/9/01 -0800, Lee Rodgers wrote:

> The basic reason is that insert has to accomodate
> input
> from a select statement and update doesn't.

True true.

<BEAT DEAD HORSE>
On the other hand, a majority of INSERT traffic comes
from applications inserting one row. Having an
SET <name=value pairs> arg list on INSERT - seems to
me that'd work & not conflict with the ANSI INSERT
grammar. The real benefit is that it'd avoid a lot of
common programming errors.
</BEAT DEAD HORSE>

> But believe me, having a better language than the
> standard
> doesn't win you any points. Or a chorus of
> approval.

I do polyphonic chanting & I'd approve. That makes 2
voices! ;-)

FWIW, the big 5 vendors all have their own specific
enhancements to SQL '92.

> Uh, you've got some homework to do. Firebird
> doesn't work that way.

Doh! <Now gee, why izit i can't find doc's explaining
tran. logs in IB/FB?>

Thanx for the listen (back to lurking),

=====