Subject RE: [IB-Architect] dsql/dsql.c v2 A Cursor Too Far.
Author Patrick J. P. Griffin
Chris,
My current reading of the code makes me think that a second form of the
name_length routine may be unnecessary. If fact, my suggested changes
removes the first call to name_length. The first call to name_length in this
code segment was used to set one of the two limits to the FOR statement.
(The other limit was set by the compiled length of the CURSOR variable.)

My proposed alteration to the FOR statement causes it to terminate from any
of three conditions.
1) the compiled length of the CURSOR variable.
2) finding the first NULL character.
3) finding the first SPACE character.

The early part of the GDS_DSQL_SET_CURSOR routine has two different cursor
name handling components. Dialect 3 is handled earlier in the module (in
the THEN part of the IF statement) and is not affected by my proposed
alterations. My proposed alterations only exist in the ELSE portion.

My change only affects Dialect 1 processing and simply ensures that the
first space, if it exists, is replaced by a null. With that accomplished,
the variable CURSOR contains a null terminated string just as if it was
called from C, Pascal or any other language that uses null terminated
strings. If the string was already null terminated no alterations are made.
Since Dialect 1 does not allow imbedded blanks, this change should not break
any existing Dialog 1 processing while correcting problems in any language
that, like COBOL, does not use null terminated strings.

Thanks for taking the time to consider the value and validity of my
proposal.

...pat