Subject RE: [IB-Architect] dedicated IB filesystem
Author murasr1.eti@mail.cez.cz
"Claudio Valderrama C." <cvalde@...> on 30.08.2000 09:35:24

Odpovězte prosím - IB-Architect@egroups.com

Komu: IB-Architect@egroups.com
Kopie: (Na vědomí: Muras Radomir/3420/ETI/CEZ)
Předmět: RE: [IB-Architect] dedicated IB filesystem

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7872/6/_/830676/_/967620904/

If you mean a database device, then the plain response is NO and I would
say that for the time being, NO, too.
IB has already an internal structure on each database. No surprise, of
course. But having a dedicated filesystem sounds like another layer on top
of the operating system: more overhead. This is the way Sybase works or at
least used to work. MsSql inherited the database devices since Sybase
developed it for MS. But ultimately, MS got rid of such overhead in v7 and
implemented each db on top of the operating system as a file, same as with
IB.
What would be the benefits of a dedicated file system for IB, in your
opinion?

C.

Hi IB fans :

I see some reason for dedicated IB filesystem :

1. Better guard condition against incompetent access to the *.gdb.,
in file system isn´t file *.gdb any more, on some disk is partition which
will be
(I think fully) dedicated for IB DB.

2. Quicker access to the DB :

- whole capacity of partition is prepared for IB initially
and at once.

- direct access across blok device /dev/hd....

3. The prices of disk capacity is falling down and is not great
problem reserve enough capacity for DB.

4. Requirements on security system are growing.

This facility is included in the Oracle.

Muras R.