Subject Re: [IB-Architect] PostgreSQL 7 benchmark
Author Paul Gallagher
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Schuff" <robertsc@...>
To: <IB-Architect@egroups.com>
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2000 7:04 PM
Subject: Re: [IB-Architect] PostgreSQL 7 benchmark

> regardless (pretty much) of the validity of the test methodology, these
> results are not good for InterBase(r). Most people will simply read the
> results (perhaps quickly) and not critically. And certainly those who do
> not know InterBase(r) will not be aware of the issues anyway. Its a Press
> Release, ie a marketing ploy more than anything else. The only way to
> effectively counteract marketing is with marketing. That isn't happening
> now and until it does by newco, inprise or whomever, will remain
> unchallenged.

I get awful tired of seeing these benchmark tests that do nothing but
compare transaction speed. Im not saying that they'r useless, but close.

I once built a drag car. It would do 0-60mph in about 3.5 seconds. A "stock"
corvette would do 0-60 inabout 6.5 seconds. So I guess my car was about 80%
faster than a corvette. Which would you drive to work?

From what I have heard, Postgres lacks some of the higher end features of
Interbase and the other high end systems. Once they add these features, Im
sure its performance will drop off also. But in the meantime, maybe
we(Inprise, Newco, IBDI and whoever) needs to put together our own
"unbiased" benchmark test against the competition. Show them what a SP can
do for performance, etc...
Lets try a benchmark with Interbase coupled with IBO, and watch it blow the
doors off of Postgres. I don't care if its not an "apples to apples"
comparison or not. Its how the DB is being used in the real world.

Paul Gallagher