Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Re: Is it _really_ necessary to expose the location of the database file?
Author jaredcr
Rock on, Bill.

This is an awesome idea. How do you propose to get the address of the
list server to the application without coding it? Maybe (God, please don
strike me dead for suggesting this) we need some sort of broadcast
protocol. Can a DHCP server be set up to hand out a specific LDAP server
address to each client?

Something like SMB or DHCP would be needed to make such a system as
awesome as it sounds. Maybe a version of something like WINS (which is
basically a router for SMB over TCP). That way, neither the support
people nor the users would need to know what DB/Server to config the INI
for or specify in the registry, and/or developers would no longer need
to hard code an ODBC connection or a server/DB setup in their app.

The only thing better than this is a web app. Web apps are (in my humble
estimation) the death of locally installed client/server apps. Even with
a web app, though, you have to set up the connection to the DB.

I come from a large PC support group at 3M. We supported about 30
different in-house client/server apps. PowerBuilder, VB, intranet, etc.,
for about 25-30 thousand users in the Minneapolis/ST. Paul, MN area. I
had to remember the ODBC DSN, Lotus Notes (used ODBC to read/write
Sybase tables) server name for the ini, whatever, for each group for
each app (alot of them were shared, especially the manufacturing apps in
PowerBuilder). On top of that, some apps used Sybase, some Allbase, and
some SQL. Some used a local Access file (either c:\whatever or
\\server\share\whatever).

This is awesome. My head is kind of spinning. We could allow the
creation of "domains" so that users from the HR unit get connected to
their DB, while the users from Sales get connected to their DB. It could
be interfaced with NT security. I suppose it would be Dynamic
ODBC(-like) Server. It could even tell a VB app to use an Access .mdb
file from the appropriate location. No more hard coded DB connection,
either native or ODBC.

How can I help? My C is really lacking, but I'd luv to learn, expecially
for a project like this. My stronger skills would lie in the conceptual
development area... i.e. what does it do, how does it do it, what are
it's parts, etc.

Lemme know! I'm serious.

Jared