Subject Re: OpenBase, Phoenix, etc. Re: [IB-Architect] Open Letter
Author Ann Harrison

At 02:25 PM 7/19/00 -0600, Tim Uckun wrote:

>Not really. The GPL specifies that If I use the code of MySql and then make
>modifications to that code to make another database server then I would be
>obligated to GPL my derived database server (only if I choose to distribute
>it to the public). The GPL does not touch me if I make a separate product
>that uses the mysql engine. As long as I don't steal their code I am immune
>from the GPL. Only when you actually attempt to benefit from their hard
>work will you be subject to their terms.
>
>For example I can make a mysql schema generation tool or a mysql data
>migration tool using Delphi or VB and be free to charge whatever I want for
>it because I did not steal any code from the MySql database server. But If
>I want to make "yourSQL" and do so by modifying the "mysql" code then I
>have to make "yourSQL" open source. OTOH if I only want to make "yourSQL"
>be available in my company and nowhere else then I'm OK.

Check again. GPL is deliberately viral. If you build an application that
links to a GPL application, you must GPL your application. That's the major
difference between GPL and Mozilla, which does work as you describe. LGPL
allows you to link against a library without requiring that you accept an
LGPL license, but cuts a very fine line if you include any header modules ...

Ann