Subject Re: OpenBase, Phoenix, etc. Re: [IB-Architect] Open Letter
Author Tim Uckun
At 12:37 PM 07/19/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Tim Uckun wrote:
> > They just recently GPLed the whole thing! [MySQL] But you are right
> they were
> > charging a nominal fee for windows users before that.
>
>Note that GPL is "viral" -- this means that any application you develop
>with MySQL must also be GPL. There is still a fee if you want to
>develop an application that is not open-source. Sneaky, aren't they?

Not really. The GPL specifies that If I use the code of MySql and then make
modifications to that code to make another database server then I would be
obligated to GPL my derived database server (only if I choose to distribute
it to the public). The GPL does not touch me if I make a separate product
that uses the mysql engine. As long as I don't steal their code I am immune
from the GPL. Only when you actually attempt to benefit from their hard
work will you be subject to their terms.

For example I can make a mysql schema generation tool or a mysql data
migration tool using Delphi or VB and be free to charge whatever I want for
it because I did not steal any code from the MySql database server. But If
I want to make "yourSQL" and do so by modifying the "mysql" code then I
have to make "yourSQL" open source. OTOH if I only want to make "yourSQL"
be available in my company and nowhere else then I'm OK.

:wq
Tim Uckun
Due Diligence Inc. http://www.diligence.com/ Americas Background
Investigation Expert.
If your company isn't doing background checks, maybe you haven't considered
the risks of a bad hire.