Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Re: Table Inheritance
Author Tim Uckun
At 09:11 PM 07/19/2000 +1000, you wrote:

>I reiterate - this is not a reactionary plea to change nothing! I REALLY
>want to be able to implant things like "standard" triggers to harvest a
>generator for a PK, populate case-insensitive search columns, calculate
>summaries for archive tables, I REALLY want the database to promote an old
>ODS automatically, de-da-de-da. I'd just want to know whether I want what
>you want. I don't mind having my illusions shattered, just don't scalp me
>for asking the question.

I agree with you. Like I said the problems may be simply solved by a more
robust Domain implementation. A domain which hs events and triggers might
solve the problem in a "more Intutive for a DBA" manner. If this is too
hard to do (would it be harder then writing table inheritance?) Then a way
to apply the same trigger to multiple tables or multiple events. On that
note there ought to be a insert_or_Update event or something because
whatever trigger you write for update will most likely be written in the
insert too.

:wq
Tim Uckun
Due Diligence Inc. http://www.diligence.com/ Americas Background
Investigation Expert.
If your company isn't doing background checks, maybe you haven't considered
the risks of a bad hire.