Subject RE: [IB-Architect] smart indexing (was) new idea/proposition.
Author Ungod
okay, let's get this thread a proper title. another point i want to bring up
in this discussion is do we want to just keep hit counting on the
columns/column-sets in the database as long as the db lives, or should we
have a lfu/lru strategy that drops them off the end? I'd probably suggest
here say a hitcount div age since last used strategy here, that combines
least frequent/least recent together into a single factor. Obviously also
having this data as say a new system table stored in the .gdb would be a
good idea too, as the data would travel with the dataset, (obviously, cross
.gdb indexing is not even worth contemplating). also mentioned below is the
idea that this can be done outside of interbase, can someone point me in the
right direction? (running dangerously low on time atm.... must relax....
must stop..... ah bugger it, i'm having too much fun).

--
Ungod (W.King)
www.bytamin-c.com
www.magick.tm
I found the answer, now where'd I put that problem...

-----Original Message-----
From: Benny Schaich [mailto:b.schaich@...]
Sent: Wednesday, 19 July 2000 7:57 PM
To: IB-Architect@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [IB-Architect] new idea/proposition.

Hi,
Reading this thread the following idea comes up:
How about doing part of the work for now, as somebody said this has nice
side
effects to other tasks. We could just offer the ability to collect all
queries
in an additional table if the admin wishes that. This should be possible
without
too much work inside the engine.

Once there are large collections of queries we can search for intelligent
methods to work with those. And this can be done from outside too, as I
would
not like to stuff IB with unnessecary code...

Regards,
Benny