Subject RE: [IB-Architect] new idea/proposition.

www.magick.tm
I found the answer, now where'd I put that problem...

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Karwin [mailto:bill@...]
Sent: Wednesday, 19 July 2000 4:50 PM
To: IB-Architect@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [IB-Architect] new idea/proposition.

[snip]

Likewise, the engine could monitor non-usage of existing indexes, and
periodically advise dropping or deactivating indexes that are never
used. I guess this would also require keeping counting the total number
of queries on the same table.

Also, advice might include deactivating indexes that are used regularly,
but have very poor selectivity. Such indexes might cost more to
maintain than is justified by the meager benefit they give.

This "advice" feature was at times given the cute name, "database
copilot". It makes me think of the cartoon character in Microsoft
Office who pops up offering help when I hit a wrong key.

Regards,
Bill Karwin