Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Open Letter
Author Olivier Mascia
Mons, Belgium,
July 14, 2000

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The story continues !
What's this Cobalt Networks issue ?
Pardon my ignorance, but I do not know them.
And never read about them since the 'black' december.

I have delayed 3 times the release of a major upgrade (full-rewrite indeed)
of our ERP line to patiently wait for Interbase 6 to get released. We talk
of about 1,200 customers sites to be upgraded within the 9 to 12 monthes
from our release. Those are spreaded in Belgium, Luxemburg, France,
Netherlands, and some in the U.S.A. and in Czech Republic.

Nothing on earth and anywhere else in the known universe allowed me to even
fear that the open-sourcing of Interbase 6 could fail. Everything that got
said, written about it since january/february confirmed the project was in
good shape. The invaluable opportunity to be allowed to rely our business
and our customer's businesses on a strong, powerfull, open-source database
product has been recognized as such by all our customer base, who was polled
about that in April 2000.

Once again the sky tumbles, the earth quakes, and once again I'm
disappointed by Borland / Inprise. It is my feeling that there is an
incredible problem of basic competence within the top-level management of
Inprise/Borland. Always hiding behind 'lawyers' issues is just infantile
management. If there is a problem, dear Mr Fuller, please solve it quickly.
That's what CEOs are paid for, afterall ! Or am I from another planet ? All
of this makes me think of a kid hiding behind his/her mother instead of
facing the difficulty and move ahead in the life.

[ I know my words are not pleasant, may sound rude, may be personal direct
public attack... and that's what they are anyway. Now, if some 'kid' wants
to sue me : please go on. ]

This said, what precise actions can we all take to help this deal finally
succeed ? I can write to Mr Fuller. I can email him. I can express my
opinions in numerous newsgroups, email lists. I can spread the word within
multiple of my own customers in Europe who are direct or indirect big
investors in Inprise/Borland. But then ?

Do we have at least the exact email addresses needed to reach the various
people closely concerned by this ? Are there other kind of actions we could
take to help ?

Can we get more information about Cobalt Networks in order to better
appreciate the importance (on which I have no doubt) of the this deal ?

Jim, Ann, and all others who I can't cite because lack of bits in this
email, I really understand your disappointment facing the way things evolve.
And I share the feeling, believe me. But please, after so much work from all
of you, let's not abandon too quickly ! We survived a storm in
december/january. We're all stronger to handle this one now.

Trully, I do not know what to say more for now... I need to relax first.

Olivier Mascia T.I.P. Group SA
om@... www.tipgroup.com
Director, Chief Software Architect +32 65 401111