Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Backups of large database & super transactions
Author Jason Chapman
Jim and Jason,

I've been watching the thread and have the following to add.

I have a site with 100's of users and 3GB of data. The main issue of backup
and restore is to:
1) reduce the amount data loss in the case of a disaster
2) reduce the amount of downtime for users in such a case.

We currently:
1) backup at midnight
2) resotore on another machine daily
3) Burn both the backup and restore on CD (thus giving us the protection
against human destruction of data that takes a week or month to find out
about).

I have suggested on the group before a situation not disimilar to Jason's of
having incremental backups that can be applied to pre-restored versions.
This could be done every couple of hours even.

The key for us is that when a server dies and we are unsure about the
integrity of the data, we immediately give the latest read only version of
the software and data, i.e. our turnaround is less than 15 minutes. We can
then address the problem with only minimal disruption to the workflow of the
company.

I have seen databases that have had long standing transactions open for over
24 hours which must really kick garbage collection into touch (e.g. WS
crashes and doesn't get rebooted, the server can still ping gds32.dll
therefore the transaction is not rolled back). When you get larger
database, the "coal face" where the data is being changed tends to be a much
smaller percentage of the database than for smaller databases, this is why
incremental backup is so appealing. So to this end I feel the argument that
the database woulod just get too flaky with old transactions doesn't seem to
be an idea killer.

The trouble with the shadow scenario is that you end up with a duplicate of
the database to be store, moved whatever, when only a fraction of a percent
has changed since the last time the backup was done. Good C/S tells me that
you should only gather what you need, not everything. We move the data from
the main server to the backup servers over the network, we don't use tape
for this process, therefore it shares network bandwidth. This give us
maximum portability - Every PC has a CD.

JAC.