Subject Re: [IB-Architect] External file handling
Author Jason Wharton
Sean,

> Wouldn't that introduce issues of data consistency?

Yes, this would open up the possibility of some consistency issues.

Our existing system as implemented has the exact same issues, just we are
having to deal with the complexity rather than being able to rely on the
database to handle it for us. It's really not bad since no other application
or program access those files (other than backing them up and flipping the
archive bit).

I think it should at least be documented that those files are not meant to
be altered through any other means than the database's mechanisms. I think
it would be going too far to try and setup a security mechanism that
restricted access to all files in a folder to a particular process (e.g.
InterBase), wouldn't it? Perhaps it could be done but that would be an OS
thing and not a database thing.

> The external blob files could be changed/deleted outside of IB (never
> mind any transaction), therefore doesn't that defeat the whole purpose
> of having a transactional based SQL DB?

I'm only recognizing a problem that I am facing with some of our apps here
at the state. I have no intention of modifying those files through any other
access method so this isn't an issue to me. I'm confident that InterBase
could extend its transactional capabilities to those files sitting external
to the GDB. It does it for the contents of secondary database files...

For that matter, a hacker could open up a GDB file and write a few bytes at
random into the database, that too would defeat most any transactional SQL
DB. <g>

> [It seems that we are "arguing" about everything tonight.]

All in good fun. I never mind when someone disagrees with me if they
simultaneously demonstrate that they understand what I'm saying too. Your
points are good ones. Keep it coming.

I really don't mind if this suggestion gets totally shot down either. We've
got a working solution and are quite happy with things as-is.

Regards,
Jason Wharton
CPS - Mesa AZ
http://www.ibobjects.com