Subject Re: [IB-Architect] External file handling
Author Charlie Caro
Ann Harrison wrote:

> In the superserver architecture, the server opens external
> files on demand, but never closes them. Would there be a
> problem, either in compatibility or in code, with keeping
> a counter and closing the file shortly after the last
> connection that referenced the file had exited?
>
> Ann

No problem in code. Others could speak to the compatibility
with their applications.

But I'd probably reference count at the request (aka statement)
level for the following reasons:

1) It would be more consistent with the way we reference
count the existence locks for base relations and indices;

2) Long-running connections might defeat the strategy;

Regards,
Charlie