Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Select Procedures & BLR
Author Jim Starkey
At 12:16 PM 6/13/00 -0700, Jason Wharton wrote:

>Wouldn't it be cool if we could tame BLR a little in an editor and write
>some procedures using BLR? Perhaps GDML would be more appropriate to
>resurrect... Seems to me there are a lot of things that could be
>accomplished by doing this. Fortunately the SQL interface has been
>sufficient for my needs so far... although I have had to do some pretty
>clumsy stuff in SQL...

BLR was designed to support easy machine generation and dirt cheap
parsing. I never intended that BLR be hand built, and with one exception
by Cognos, it never has been. Wrapping another language around it
makes more sense than trying to "tame" BLR into something it wasn't
intended to do.

GDML is a better procedural language than SQL, but most people prefer
to use something that they can tell their boss is SQL. Probably
renaming GDML ++SQL would do the trick...

Seriously, I do think that any future embedded language be class
conscious (so to speak), which rather rules out a GDML revival.

Jim Starkey