Subject RE: [IB-Architect] Formatting the interbase.log file
Author David Schnepper
Sounds useful to me -- this also would allow a trigger or SP to
log a message by inserting into the file.

You do NOT want it as a database file -- (How do you log
a damaged file found during server start?)

Ideally, when we have an "external file interface" - we would write
a driver that converts from the log file format into a table
structures... (Oh, the future will be perfect...)

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Markus Kemper [mailto:mkemper@...]
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2000 8:58 AM
To: IB-Architect@egroups.com
Subject: [IB-Architect] Formatting the interbase.log file

There have been numerous cases where it would have
been handy to simply query the interbase.log file
vs. scroll through it looking for hints of problems.

At first I thought it would be nice to convert it
to an InterBase database on the system but, then
thought that might be overkill and too much overhead.

How about writing the file and its messages to disk
in a preformated (fixed length) fashion so that the
log could be referenced and queried via an InterBase
external file?

Markus