Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Engineering project description
Author Chris Jewell
> From: rfm@...
> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 15:43:44 -0700
>

> Or do the ib_ functions take and IB_FILE * ? that would seem to
> make the whole problem irrelevent... Maybe thats what's already been
> done ?

Yes. Every publicly-visible symbol in ib_stdio.c is prefixed by
either "IB_" or "ib_".

IB_FILE *fopen(etc, etc, and so forth...)

We're not the C implementor, so we stay out of the implementation's
portion of the namespace. If I try to redefine an identifier in the
implementation's namespace, results are undefined, which is the C
standard's way of saying that a compliant implementation is permitted
to make gouts of green flame spurt from my ears when I try it, so I
don't. (I'm probably misquoting Chris Torek or some other decade-ago
participant in comp.std.c.)

Of course, sooner or later a user will decide to "fix" a compile error
by casting a FILE* to an IB_FILE* or vice versa, and things will
break. Since this is C, we cannot prevent that. We'll put a warning
in the documentation, though, I'm quite sure.

--
Chris Jewell developer/sysadmin voice: 831-431-6531
cjewell@... InterBase Software fax: 831-431-6510