Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Extending SP lang. to ISQL
Author Jim Starkey
At 11:35 AM 5/15/00 -0400, Dalton Calford wrote:

>BUT, I do want to see certain enhancements added to the SP language.
>Such things as CASE statements come to mind.
>The ability to manipulate all the different types of data that the
>database can store.
>I do not want to see a million and one math functions added to Interbase
>(IB is not a spread sheet) but, I do want to see the ability to write
>those functions in SP code if needed. I have functions for computing
>square roots, date and time manipulation, all sorts of business
>procedures, language and formating procedures, all written in
>Interbase's stored procedure language. (My random number generator is
>still producing some predictable results so I need some more development
>on it)

Rather than inventing yet another language, I think it makes
a great deal of sense to standardize on an existing, industry
standard language. Java is the obvious choice (madam, there
is no second). It is computationally complete, has a civilized
database api, and has a standardized binary format. It also
provides a modicum of obscurity for VARs that wish to prevent
leakage of source code.

There are open source JVMs available under InterBase compatible
licenses that could be integrated with the engine.

I suggest we spend a little time talking about Java integration
issues.

Jim Starkey