Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Database names: Hair trigger
Author dcalford
I still prefer the method where you can cast the blob into an array of
(byte|smallint|integer|int64|char|widchar|etc) and access the blob element by
element.
You can manipulate any type of blob within the engine at that point or even
write a type of blob filter within a stored procedure.
If you do this with strings as well, you could write in SP code any string
function you want.
This allows the developer to create whatever functions they want, while not
burdoning the engine with alot of new and untested functions.
This also allows people to write platform independant databases without worrying
about porting/compiling udf/filter libraries.

Those who want the extra speed could use UDF's, others who want portability, can
use SP code.

SP code would become the programming standard for Interbase.

just my 2c worth.

Dalton