Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Database names: Hair trigger
Author Tim Uckun
At 01:52 PM 5/6/00 -0400, you wrote:

> >I hope nobody really seriously thinks we should deprecate blobs.
> >
> >Helen
>
>No, not at all. Just that it should be possible to assign a text
>blob to a string and vice-versa. And that it ought to be possible
>to pass arbitrarily long statements through DSQL.

This would make three types of strings in the database no? Char, varchar,
blob-subtype. Why not rethink the thing. Just make a string type. Do we
really need chars if we have varchars? do we really need varchars if we
have long strings? Why not make a type called string which is like a
varchar without an upper limit. Or maybe the upper limit is the length of
the block. Let blobs be exactly that binary large objects best suited for
word documents or mp3s.
Tim Uckun
Mobile Intelligence Unit.
"There are some who call me TIM?"