Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Database names: Hair trigger
Author Jim Starkey
At 10:20 AM 5/6/00 -0700, Bill Karwin wrote:

>Allowing string literals to be used for assignment or comparison with
>text Blobs would be convenient.
>
>I would be satisfied with Markus' suggestion for CAST() operations
>to convert text Blobs to VARCHAR and back.

A string is a type. The type string can be stored as a fixed
length string (char), a counted string (varchar), or a blob of
type text. They different in length. So what?

The JDBC blob semantics allow blobs to be fetched and set as strings.
It's really quite convenient.

For the record, I don't think blob segments have proven their worth.
Can anybody think of any good reason to keep them part of the
architecture?

Jim Starkey