Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Backward compatability with previous versions of gdb files
Author Helen Borrie
At 11:41 PM 30-04-00 -0700, Markus wrote:

> > Unless someone on the team can whip up a utility in the
> > least amount of time to facilitate this when 6 is released.
>
> There is one already. gbak.exe
>
> > I totally agree, though it's just a litte more hassle and most people
> > want less hassle in general even if it compromises the integrity of
> > their database.
>
> InterBase 6.0 adds the services API which will enable you
> to add backup and retore facilities built into your
> applications should your customers not want to fiddle
> with the hassle.

I think this discussion has some people spinning in ever-diminishing circles.

If you are about to upgrade your db to a new ODS, are you going to just do
it "blind"? Or are you going to take a backup, just in case the
script/tool/whatever falls over half-way through the conversion?

Yes? So - you have a backup available, whatever approach is going to be
used for the conversion.

What, I wonder, is less hassle...

1. Take a backup, do a test restore to see if it worked and then run the
conversion tool ConvertToNewODS.exe

or

2. Take a backup, do a test restore to see if it worked and then restore
it with NewGbak.exe.

Presumably, if either of these approaches were done under cover of a UI,
what's the difference, really, except that Gbak is already proven to be the
bloodless way to port gdbs in all directions, including up. Lets see M$
produce a script that works just as well to upgrade as it does to port
their Colossus to another operating system.

Isn't the no-hassle approach (for pleasing Marketing as well as the low-end
newcomers) to avoid having to run stuff from the command line?

Helen

http://www.interbase2000.org
"Ask not what your free, open-source database can do for you,
but what you can do for your free, open-source database."
(J.F.K.)