Subject Re: [IB-Architect] GBAK processing
Author Bill Karwin
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Starkey" <jas@...>
> Would a better solution be a mechanism to create and
> detach a shadowed copy? Unlike the gbak case it would
> be a complete usable copy.

The trick is to know when to detach the shadow. The answer: right before
the database is corrupted. Anyone who can predict this gets a Golden Ticket
to the chocolate factory.

Your suggestion is similar to mine, actually. In that its purpose is to
have a "hot spare" database ready to jump into action.

The other problem is that shadows cannot currently write to NFS filesystems,
I believe (no reason why they shouldn't be able to, but that's the way it is
today). So if it's the drive or the server hardware that causes the
downtime, you haven't achieved anything, unless you copy the shadow to
another server after you detach it.

Bill Karwin