Subject RE: [IB-Architect] Journaling support?
Author David Berg
Interbase doesn't require Journaling because of it's versioned record
support. If the system crashes and restarts, all records marked with a
version # corresponding to an uncommitted transaction are marked invalid and
thrown away as they are encountered. This allows Interbase to restart
instantly after a crash without having to reload from a Journal, and with no
data integrity problems.

Further, it avoids many of the locking problems that other servers have when
transactions hit the same area, and it guarantees 100% re-readability of
data within a transaction with no performance or locking penalties.

-----Original Message-----
From: jerzy.tomasik@... [mailto:jerzy.tomasik@...]
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2000 7:44 PM
To: IB-Architect@onelist.com
Subject: [IB-Architect] Journaling support?

From: jerzy.tomasik@...

I remember seeing "Journaling" in old InterBase manuals (3.3)
but I've never used it. Today I've tried to find out how
to set it up in the 6.0 beta, and to my surprise, I couldn't
find it anywhere in the documentation. I've gone back to
version 4.0 and it looks like journaling was already
removed (for example "enable" keyword not in gfix).

Is there any history behind it? Are there any plans to
resurrect journaling?

IMHO, journaling is essential for 7x24 applications
where up to the minute recovery is a must.

Is there an alternative mechanism that I'm not seeing?

Bye,
Jerzy