Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Syntax for case insensitive sort
Author Jan Mikkelsen
So I can get the effect today?

Something like:

Create table names (surname varchar(100) not null, surname_collate computed
by translate(surname));

create index on names (surname_collate);

select surname from names order by surname_collate;

Great! I must admit that I had assumed I couldn't index a computed field.
I should have checked. Telephone book ordering, here I come. I asssume a
CSTRING is collated using a pure binary comparison.

Expression indexing would allow the artificial field name to be removed from
the table. That would be nice, but functionally makes no difference.

Are there other collation requirements which aren't met by this? I believe
this could handle just about all the requirements that have been stated
through a UDF.

You don't happen to have operator overloading #ifdef'd out as well, do you?

Regards,

Jan.