Subject RE: [IB-Architect] Syntax for case insensitive sort
Author David Schnepper
And another reason:
- A Stored Procedure would return different results depending on
the user who executed it.
- Which means you have to have a way to override the user's defaults
and specify the results you want.
- Which (implies) you might as well have the user do that...

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Starkey [mailto:jas@...]
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2000 10:53 AM
To: IB-Architect@onelist.com
Subject: Re: [IB-Architect] Syntax for case insensitive sort

From: Jim Starkey <jas@...>

At 06:26 PM 3/29/00 -0000, you wrote:
>From: "Kim Madsen" <kbm@...>
>

>I know several of you are flaming Oracle... but its actually a quite
>fast and stable database widely used (why.... because it actually
>does work), and I think IB should compete against Oracle more than it
>should try to mimic Access!
>
>Why to reinvent the wheel when somebody has allready shown how to do
>it.

Because the wheel that Oracle invented wasn't round. Of course,
one of the arguments in favor of square wheels is that they are
stable.

Among the arguments against making case sensitivity a session
mode:

1. You can't tell what a query is going to do by looking
at it.

2. It doesn't handle indexes in a useful manner.

3. It can't mix mode. In specific, the following statement

select * from people order by lastName nocase, lastName

orders duplicates by case, which is generally what you want.
Making the general case architecturally impossible is not
particularly perspicuous.

The only thing going for Oracle's implementation is that it's better
than Sybase's. This is like saying something is softer than a rock.

Jim Starkey