Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Local application
Author Helen Borrie
At 07:29 AM 27-03-00 -0800, you wrote:
>From: "Markus Kemper" <mkemper@...>
>
> One area I've seen some programmers struggle in doing
> this is that their application design is not ready
> for a multiuser environment. Meaning that things
> like TTables, select(*), count(*) are throughout the
> application. And sometimes transaction control is
> less than optimal. One will not notice the performance
> impact of the above operations until put into a
> multiuser environement and then performance goes
> out the window.
>
> Only go to the database when you need to.

Whilst I agree with this TOTALLY, another point that needs to be made about
desktop apps is that database performance is terrible if the local server
is running in competition with the usual bucketload of desktop apps. Add
to that the habit of desktop users hooking up their overloaded (usually
Win98) machines in a workgroup (whether sharing the database or not) and
you have a whole lot of looooong coffee breaks. Desktop IB needs to have
the undivided attention of the whole box.

Helen
http://www.interbase2000.org
"Ask not what your free, open-source database can do for you,
but what you can do for your free, open-source database."
(J.F.K.)