Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Preventing one user from dragging down performance?
Author Ann Harrison
At 02:08 PM 11/9/2000 +1030, Corey Wangler wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Just wondering about increasing the robustness of IB
>with respect to a user that does a 'bad thing'...
>I guess I'm asking what things can currently bring the
>database to it's knees, and what can be done (if anything)
>to fix things...

That's a huge area. One avenue of attack is to have
a way in superserver to identify a piggish thread and
kill it. There are many more, most of which need to be
verified with performance measurement.

>BTW, I ask this because we are having some
>problems with our application's performance.
>We're using IB 5.6 (Windows, NT) at the moment.
>Hopefully moving to IB 6.x very soon. Will be
>trying both Classic and SuperServer on Linux.

What have you done to identify the source of the
problem? Even without changes to the server, there
should be ways to improve performance. I/O bound?
CPU? Memory? Do you allow ad hoc queries?...

Regards,

Ann