Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Next ODS change (was: System table change)
Author Dmitry Kuzmenko
Hello, Ann!

Ann Harrison wrote:

> Other things to consider for the ODS change include:
>
> 1) Drop page checksum

I've heard that IB 5.x does not store or use page checksum.

> 2) Add page generation at bottom of page for a consistency check.
> 3) Increase max index key size from 255 to 64K.

cool! But.... Maybe it is much easier to do "silent key trimming" when key size is bigger
than X bytes (for example 64 or 84)?
I mean, with B-tree index we can search =, > or <. I don't know applications that
can differ strings longer than ~80 characters. I think indexing the whole 2K or even 64K is
completely useless.

> 5) Add FK root page (like IRT) so defining foreign keys doesn't
> require exclusive access.

I have temporary wishlist, local for russian IB users.
There are about ~60 wishes now :-) Yours N5 already in it.

--
Dmitry Kuzmenko, Epsylon Technologies.