Subject RE: [IB-Architect] System table change
Author Doug Chamberlin
At 11/7/2000 11:55 AM (Tuesday), Ann Harrison wrote:
>Right. And the purpose is to make it possible for
>interfaces like ODBC, IBO, etc. to handle numbers
>better. When we keep precision, we can also enforce
>the limits of the numeric type (another great leap
>backward toward standards).

I like this change solely because without retaining the precision value
there was no way for an application to read the system tables and recreate
the original DDL which was used to define the field. (I know it probably
did not matter in terms of processing accuracy, etc. but I have always been
bothered by the lack of symmetry.)