Subject Re: [IBO] Dealing with Firewall / connection issues
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:19 AM 17/03/2011, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>When we try to connect to a FB database using a TIBODatabase (v. 4.8.7)
>where a Firewall is blocking connection the component raises an
>exception (after a long pause). In Delphi I have trapped the exception
>and displayed an appropriated error message. However the error seems to
>propagate through my application in that the exception seems to 'break
>through' the exception handling and trigger a second exception handler.
>I have dealt with this and close my application after this but get
>access violations.
>
>I think something in the TIBODatabase component is seriously breaking.
>is there anything I can do? I am currently investigating testing for a
>firewall before attempting connection as an alternative.

Hard to tell what you're asking IBO to do here. If you don't open the Firebird service port in the firewall, what do you expect a user-space application to do? Eating the first TCP blockage error doesn't solve it - at best it just passes the same problem (Connection refused) to the next handler.

Helen