Subject RE: [IBO] IBO 4.5 & Firebird 2: objects remain in use
Author Helen Borrie
At 03:26 AM 7/03/2008, you wrote:
>> > It is meant to happen. Once a SP or trigger is in the
>> cache, it can't
>> > be modified until all users are logged out.
>>
>My experience of 1.5 was that with SS there should be no problem modifying
>SP code but with Classic any use of a SP will lock the metadata until that
>user logs out - and you cant tell which user it is. For this reason we
>ditched classic.
>Is it different in 2.0?

By my observation (so far) the behaviour is the same in both:

-- with Classic, you'll need to log out and then log back in to alter the metadata of an SP or trigger that you have already run in your session. When you do, other users won't see your change if that SP or trigger is in their cache.

-- with SS, you simply can't alter an SP or trigger that is in the shared cache

Perhaps something has changed with the caching in Fb 2 to enforce it. You could inquire on firebird-devel...if necessary, it can be documented.

Helen