Subject RE: [IBO] Lock Conflict Problem
Author Jason Wharton
You have created what I call a "hot spot" in your database. It may help
that in your trigger you put code around things so that you only actually
update those columns when necessary. If you do an update and nothing has
changed in the sum it will still put all the new record version entries and
produce potential lock conflicts. However, I still think you are prone to
have problems even if you trim off unnecessary updates. You may want to
separate this over into a new table and link it so that your whole record is
not locked just by updating this average.

This isn't an easy problem to solve so don't get too up tight if this takes
a fair amount of experimentation and even a fairly elaborate solution to get
the flexibility, concurrency and performance you are looking for.

Jason Wharton
www.ibobjects.com