Subject Re: [IBO] Connection forcibily closed by the remote host
Author colincoleman2002
Thanks Helen for you reply, i have been working on it all day today
(Sat), ihave drawn no further conclusions, execpt i have been
looking at the following

The Factory B server is running Firebird 1.51.4481
The Client in Factory A is Running Firebird 1.5.1.4481
We are Running SBS2k3 in factory A and a SafePipe Router between the
two factories, running Client A Clients through SBS ISA Firewall
then out via a Static route to the safe pipe then off to factory B
then Safepipe then WIndows 2000 SP4 Server runiing FB1.5 (A Sort of
VPN)

I did have tables on the offending forms(i now find 2 forms) They
are Very similar as well 1 invoice and one credit note, both deal
with the same tables on the server ???Humm maybe a clue ?

Changed all the Tables to Quiries and reduced the 55second connect
to under 2.5 seconds.....nice....anyway still crashes with same
error.

Tried connecting our development PC through MS VPN to Factory B with
us running FB1.5 client and XPSP2...NO PRoblems,

Tried Connecting to factory A through MS VPN into Server, Through
ISA server backout to Factory B ..... NO Problems

I read your link about 2k3 server but think it ONLY applies to 2k3
and windows XP clients...Very interesting though i am keeping it on
my wall.

Thanks

Colin....

Still looking, May have to install terminal services server at
site "B" for Site "A" users.... Oh well the money they saved on
firebird may get me off the hook....Hummm possibly not :-(

--- In IBObjects@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@t...> wrote:
> At 07:53 PM 3/06/2005 +0000, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a very strange problem with a moderatly sized application
> >that recently has started playing up, we have not changed the
> >application but have changed the domain contraoller for the
network
> >and thus had to demote and promote all the servers connected to
> >it...The usual SBS2k3 story. Anyway the problem symptoms first.
> >
> >The Delphi 7 / IBO app on one page that creates an invoice crashes
> >with
> >the following error:
> >======================================
> >ISC ERROR CODE :335544721
> >
> >ISC ERROR MESSAGE:
> >Unable to complete network request to host "SPEC01".
> >Error reading data from the connection.
> >An existing connection was forcibily closed by the remote host.
> >
> >STATEMENT:
> >TIB_Statement: "<TApplication>.For.
> >
> >=======================================
> >This happens when the table is posted then Commited, im am testing
> >to see if its the post or the commit that crashes, The database
far
> >end is in another factory 20 miles down the road and has been
using
> >this system for 4 years now via a VPN Connection, without a hitch.
> >the same program also
> >drives the local database(same structure) where the Alias points
> >simply to the local
> >network DB server, This local connection never crashes and leads
me
> >to be belive that the application is not at fault. Also if i post
> >any invoices to the site B database whilst actually at site B it
> >never crashes either.
> >
> >Even More information i found today, one of the other client
> >machines CAN run the invoicing system fine on site "B", but they
are
> >using the old interbase 5.5.0.742 drivers and not the Firebird
> >1.5.1.4481 client drivers that are running on both servers at
sites
> >A and B and all clinet machines (I thought till today anyway!!!).
> >
> >The application has about 180 forms some very very db intensive
> >forms but this particular form seems very simple in contrast.
> >
> >I dont know where to start looking?
>
> It seems that the only reliable variable here is the one offending
> form. Check there to make sure the statement object is pointing
to the
> IB_Connection and not to some inadvertently overlooked hard
DatabaseName
> string. However, considering that it doesn't affect faster
connections,
> the cause is most likely in the way timeouts are configured for
the VPN server.

> It's quite possible that, if there's a long time lag between when
the app
> does the select and when the user posts something, the client's
connection
> has simply been timed out by the server.
>
> >is Interbase more forgiving than Firebird 1.5? if so how/why ?
>
> It might or might not be the source of the problem.
>
> (Off topic for the IBO list, btw, so if you need to persevere with
> troubleshooting this, use the firebird-support list).
>
> You mentioned "The usual SBS2k3 story". The handling of timeouts
was
> changed in Fb 1.5. IB6 and Fb 1.0 used a packet-feeding mechanism
to keep
> a connection alive, which was unreliable. Fb 1.5 uses the
KeepAlive
> settings of the server. This is fine, and right, provided the
KeepAlive is
> configured! The network message you got "An existing connection
was
> forcibly closed by the remote host" indicates that the server
terminated
> the connection - the classic 10054 socket timeout error.
>
> You don't say what you are using for the VPN but, if it's MS' own
terminal
> services, you might find this article helpful:
>
> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Terminal-
Services-Group-Policy.html

> If it's RealVNC or some other third-party VPN software, search
Google with