Subject Re: [IBO] IBOQuery: How to create TField for selectedfieldsatruntime?
Author Helen Borrie
At 06:22 PM 4/02/2005 -0800, you wrote:

>Helen:
>
>OK, I guess I just don't understand what you're talking about.
>
>[ It all sounds like one heck of a lot more work than using persistent
>fields arrays.]
>
>What are "persistent field arrays"?

Just the array of TField objects that make up the Fields[] array of a dataset.

>How do I go about making them at runtime?

"Persistent" means you don't make them at runtime. You define at
design-time what you're going to do with them - that's why they are called
"persistent". If you're happy for Borland just to do what it will with
them, you don't instantiate them as persistent fields, you just let Delphi
do its thing with them at runtime.

>Please remember that what I'm trying to do is assign the OnGetText event to
>specific fields in multiple tables. I'd like it flexible enough to not
>have to do
>this by adding components to the DM and then creating TField objects via
>the IDE, but allow my database dictate which fields will have the
>OnGetText/OnSetText
>assigned. This is all to encrypt and decrypt the db fields.

I understand that. I wish that you would just re-read the two previous
replies. I just don't have time right now to write demos for anyone. I'm
going crazy here like you wouldn't believe.

>Perhaps I'm just going about this all the wrong way?

Kind of, yes - or, rather wanting what's not supported by TDataset's
architecture. Try the InternalDataset route if you are absolutely stuck
with having to use TIBODatasets.

Helen