Subject Re: [IBO] Loss of Server Connectivity
Author Helen Borrie
At 06:42 AM 6/10/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>When a program loses it's connection to the server, is there any event
>that will fire in the IB_Connection component?

No. The IBO interface has no way of knowing that the connection has been
lost until it tries to access the server. Then you will get an exception.

>Is there another way that I can inform the user?

Another way? You can only catch the exception and handle it by informing
the user that the connection is gone. In your application, you will also
have to code an explicit Disconnect and test that Connected is False,
before opening a fresh connection.

If you are using superserver and guardian, then a lost connection due to a
server crash, that is later "restored" by guardian restarting the server,
will also cause exceptions, but of a different kind. What kind will
largely depend on what the user was doing when the server crashed, but "No
transaction for request" (gdscode 335544363) is a fairly common one on
unstable networks.

Helen