Subject Re: [IBO] Is there an easy way to implement a briefcase model?
Author Constantijn Wolfs
petesouthwest wrote:

>Hi
>
>I had seen briefcase models using the TClientdatasets
>savetofile/loadfromfile methods. But i didnt think i could use these
>as I am connecting to the database using TIB_Connection.
>
>Is there a third party solution?
>
>Thanks
>Pete
>
>--- In IBObjects@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Wharton" <jwharton@i...>
>wrote:
> > Do you mean you want to roll your own or use a 3rd party solution.
> > Most people probably use TClientDatasets.
> >
> > Jason Wharton

Helen made a demo RemoteData.zip (available in the files section) which
shows that you certainly can use IBO components with TClientDataSet.
You must use the TIBOxxx ones (TDataSet compatible). Link TIBOQuery with
a TDataSetProvider component which is linked to the TClientDataSet.
Simple DML statements can be done by setting the
DataSetProvider1.ResolveToDataSet to TRUE. In case of
inserts/updates/deletes that contain joins (multiple tables) you must
built your DML statements yourself in the
DataSetProvider1.BeforeUpdateRecord eventhandler. Typically you will
use IBO's TIB_Dsql component here.

Recently Jens Dein has proposed some changes in IBODataSet.pas
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IBObjects/message/32321) which you could
implement when you decide to look at TDataSetProvider.

Besides TClientDataSet I also use TkbmMemTable. You can "link" TIBOQuery
directly because this component can stream data from/to a
TDataSet-compatible component The developer of this component
http://www.components4developers.com also makes an application server
framework called kbmMW. You could download the freeware version (with
Delphi sources). And when you build your application server with the
services you need to support your briefcase-model, again you can use
your favorite data-access components!

Constantijn